Sunday, April 13, 2014

Thin Mint© Whoopie Pies

Last Sunday you did not get a post because I was on Spring Break in Nashville. But just because I didn't post doesn't mean I didn't bake. Sunday afternoon I was actually elbow-deep in chocolate and marshmallow fluff and mint extract, busy taking this recipe from epicurious for whoopie pies, this recipe for dark chocolate ganache, and Martha Stewart's fool-proof cream filling recipe, and adapting them all to satisfy the craving I've been having lately for Girl Scout Cookies - thin mints, to be more specific.

The chocolate cake sandwich pieces came straight from the epicurious recipe, and then I added 1/4 tsp of both peppermint and spearmint extract to the ganache and the cream filling to create that signature thin mintiness we all know and love. When we assembled the whoopie pies, we put the chocolate-mint ganache on one side of the chocolate cake pieces, mint cream on the other, and then sandwiched them together. The most difficult part of the process came down to deciding whether to use the "peppermint" or plain "mint" extract (which smelled more like spearmint). In the end, the choice was made to split the difference, and I think this worked out well.

I did a poor job of documenting again this time. I would blame my sous chef, who concocted some delicious mint juleps to sip while we were baking (the consumption of which may have distracted me from taking pictures of the baking process), but said sous chef was also responsible for solving my mint flavoring conundrum, so I should probably bite my tongue.

Anyway, here is the finished product. I highly recommend you try to make these some day soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment